While you can select data to use in SPSS using the Data - Select Cases... utility, there may be times where you need to create a subset data file. This is useful when data needs to be pulled out of a spreadsheet and then later combined to place data into new columns. For example, you might receive a spreadsheet with duplicate participant IDs because various groups are in the same column. This poses a problem, because when you want to perform a regression or MANOVA, we may need those groups in separate, unique columns.
Filtering the Data
To select the subset of data:
- Choose Data - Select Cases... from the SPSS menu bar.
- Under Select, choose "If condition is satisfied"
- Click: If...
- Build your filter expression (e.g., variable = "something")
- Click: Continue
- Under Output, choose: Copy selected cases to a new data set
- Type the new Dataset name.
This will create a new dataset in another window that you should save.